You are currently viewing Do You Need a Plumber or Heating Engineer?

Do You Need a Plumber or Heating Engineer?

Some jobs around your house are best left to a professional rather than attempting it yourself, but it’s not always clear what type of tradesman you should hire to get the job done.

When it comes to your central heating and hot water systems, you will usually need to choose between a heating engineer and a plumber. As a rule of thumb, the heating engineer is best suited to anything involving your gas supply and central heating systems, such as a new boiler installation or repairs, power flushing, or full central heating installation.

But, for many of the simpler tasks such as installing a new radiator or fixing a leaking tap, a plumber may be the best choice. Let’s dive in with a more in-depth look at their various strengths and weaknesses.

What Are The Differences Between A Heating Engineer And A Plumber?

If you want to hire the right professional, you first need to understand the difference between plumber and heating engineer. A heating engineer is qualified to work on any aspect of your heating system including your thermostat, boiler, and hot water cylinder. A plumber, on the other hand, is in charge of all your water appliances including your toilet, sinks, and taps.

The confusion usually lies when you ask for a Gas Safe registered professional since a plumber can also bear such registration. But before you hire one or the other, make sure to see if that professional has experience with gas boilers because some plumbers, whilst registered, are only allowed to work on gas stoves.

When To Call A Heating Engineer

Knowing when to contact a heating engineer is easy. If you need work done in all areas covering your heating systems like your radiators, boilers, thermostats, pipework, and hot water cylinders, that’s the job of a heating engineer. Always look for a Gas Safe registered Heating Engineer for inspections on gas-operated appliances and other gas and heating requirements.

Extra tip: While all businesses working on heating systems in the United Kingdom, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are required by the law to be Gas Safe registered, it’s best to make sure by checking for yourself. You can simply log on to the Gas Safe register website and search the company name or registration number of the heating engineer that you’d like to work with. You should also ask the engineer for a Gas Safe ID card that has his photo, registration number, security hologram, affiliated business name, and start and expiry dates.


A plumber is fixing a pipe underneath the basin

When To Call A Plumber

If the word “heating” is your clue for hiring a heating engineer, you should think of “water” when hiring a plumber. From the Latin word for lead – “plumbum” the term plumber was once used for people who worked with lead pipes, but now, these professionals do more than just that.

If you require installation or repairs for any kind of water appliances around your house, you’ll need to call a plumber for the job. This includes your bathrooms, sinks, taps, washing machines, and dishwashers. You should also call a plumber for issues like dripping taps, leaks, and blockages.

The Bottom Line

Whether you need a heating engineer or plumber will depend entirely on the type of work that you need for your house. But the most important thing is to make sure that you’re working with someone who has the right qualifications and the experience for the task in hand and in the case of a heating engineer, the right certification.

If you’re not sure whether to hire a plumber or heating engineer, you can always ask for some advice from your local professionals. Here at Harman Heating, we have been providing plumbing, gas, and central heating services in Northampton and nearby areas for over 25 years. We offer quality and reliable services to local people; simply give us a call and we will do our best to help you.

We hope you have enjoyed reading our post, for enquiry, please get in touch by calling us on 07771 956641, our team is always happy to answer your questions. Alternatively, send us a message via our online contact form.